Welcome! Bienvenidos! I am Danny Garza, candidate for San Jose City Council District 5. I look forward to serving the district’s needs in an open and transparent way.
I am a retired, disabled iron worker and union member of the Ironworkers and SEIU unions, long-time resident and community leader in District 5. I was born and raised here, never moving away. I helped build Silicon Valley in several ways as an iron worker and a community activist for over 30 years. I also have a track record working with East Valley youth at the Juvenile Hall and as a coach for girl’s and boys sports.
I am the only candidate supported by the leaders of the neighborhood associations not outside special interest groups with hidden agendas. My supporters are from the grassroots community. I am not running for Vice Mayor like the incumbent who incorrectly lists that as the title on her campaign materials. She is representing other city districts and special interest groups from outside of District 5.
I am running for City Council District 5 to bring full transparency and justice to our community. We need to get our fair share of city resources. The resources have been diverted for too long. The leaders of the neighborhood groups requested that I run for this office at this critical time in our history. My priority is to bring the full funds D5 deserves to the community.
My leadership positions include but not limited to:
California Department of Transportation
Plata Arroyo Neighborhood Association
High Speed Rail Project
Lifetime Member of NAACP leading women’s rights initiatives
San Jose Unified School District
Santa Clara County Juvenile Court Schools
Cesar Chavez Memorial at San Jose State
Participatory Budget Meetings
La Raza Roundtable
Children and Families First (NOW CALLED FIRST 5)
Contact me at 408.205.3415 to learn more.
The top Issues and Priorities in the District are:
- We support public safety. Our streets should be safe for our citizens. We have strong ties with our police and fire safety force.
- Accountability of our Elected Officials. There is a lack of accountability of D5 and San Jose elected officials conduct and spending habits.
- Where are the funds being diverted from D5, Councilmember Carrasco?
- Are you spending D5 funds as the Vice Mayor?
- Why does D5 lack the level of public services other districts receive?
- Let’s have open discussion about accountability of funds, representation, etc. Our D5 and East Valley needs its fair share of the city budget.
- We need answers to these and more questions. We will be accountable to the citizens and residents of D5.
- We will publish all communications and budgets. We are not accountable to special interest groups. My campaign is self-funded personally by me.
- Transparency to Avoid Corruption in Public Communications – FREE SPEECH. The incumbent filters, distorts and blatantly lies to deceive voters using social media and private conversations.
- Let’s get the truth out.
- Use the #NOFILTER @cm_magdalena #EASTSanMatters tag on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to pose your experiences with Councilmember Carrasco and the City of San Jose.
- We need to hear the truth.
- We will not get it from the “official” D5 channels.
- I have been censored and threatened with police action as a citizen using my FIRST AMENDMENT rights to voice my criticisms of how D5 has been run.
- We will continue the #NOFILTER policy when I am elected your representative. Lets have vigorous public debates.
- Open Government. The City of San Jose has violated open government laws in the past. We need to have the City accountable to the citizens and residents.
- We will expose and enforce the open government policy on what the city is doing and how it impacts you as a D5 resident even actions outside of the district.
- Citizens will always have a full voice in all budget spending and economic development of their neighborhoods.
- We need bike paths along the creek and in the streets. We need our fair share of public spending to solve the affordable housing and homeless crisis in D5!